Friday, December 31, 2010

Manglish in Class - POSSIBLE or IMPOSSIBLE??

Definition :
On the streets, Manglish is short for Malaysian English, a unique dialect of English spoken in Malaysia. Due to the multi-language environment, the English language in Malaysia has evolved into a creole with her own phonology, lexicon and grammar.

Example :

WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS


Britons:           I’m sorry, Sir, but we don’t seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me          
                       a  moment, I can call the other outlets for you.
Malaysians:     No Stock.


WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY


Britons:           Hey, put your wallet away, this drink is on me.
Malaysians:     No-need, lah.


WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION


Britons:          Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?
Malaysians:    (pointing the door) can ar?


WHEN ENTERTAINING


Britons:         Please make yourself right at home.
Malaysians:   Don’t be shy, lah!


WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE


Britons:         I don’t recall you giving me the money.
Malaysians:   Where got?


WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED


Britons:          Will someone tell me what has just happened?
Malaysians:    Wat happen Why liedat????ADUI!!! (jumping to conclusion)

So guys, are we going to allowed our students to speak in that manner..??
Naa.....~

And to keep it KISS :

TrAiN OuR StUdEnTs iN RiGhT wAy

Posted by : Hayatul Husna Binti Hassan 0952114

    No comments: